Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Stranded

I woke up this morning feeling a bit unwell. I still went to uni though because it was my turn to present the grand rounds for our last case and didn't want my snazzy powerpoint presentation to go to waste. However, by the end of the day I felt way out of it (physically and mentally) and so took a chance to have a rest on the train ride home. Now, the train I normally catch home in the evenings is an express train that continues up to the Central Coast and Newcastle, which means it travels for long stretches between each stop; my stop is usually the second one - beyond that, I have no knowledge of where the train goes to.

I don't know how it happened, but I woke up to find the train almost empty, pulling into a station that I had never heard of. If I felt sick before getting on the train, it was nothing compared to how I now felt. I was so tired and overwhelmed that I couldn't even muster the energy to get out of my seat and find out where on earth I was. So I just started crying. I know it's stupid - for God's sake, I've travelled overseas alone and been in way trickier situations! But I really just felt so exhausted and defeated. And some days, you really just want to be in the comfort of your own abode.

Anyway, two hours later I finally made it home. Le sigh!

(If you are wondering about the point of this story, allow me to share some insight about a long-standing dream of mine: to own a car and finally stop being at the mercy of the public transport system)/

6 comments:

  1. Oh, no! That sounds so sad, of course you had to cry! Take care of yourself... there's no need to push to go to uni tomorrow if you're still sick (you won't learn a thing!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I've been in the same situation AND I cried too!

    Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww chucks, thanks guys :-D Sometimes there's really nothing left to do but cry!
    As it turns out, I did have the day off today - just couldn't bring myself to catch the train again so soon :-S

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a car, and I love the option of having both that and public transport (er, sorry, environment). I don't have public transport where I am....but I remember doing things like that. Hope you enjoyed your day off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol! Thanks Dragonfly, yeah I did enjoy my day off - looking forward to having more mental health days :-P I feel guilty about having a car too, but seriously I don't think I can go on without one for much longer :-/ Having both options is great though, especially for travelling into the CBD where there's nowhere to park :-S

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, I would have cried too. Glad you made it back safe.

    ReplyDelete