Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mudgee, Day 9 - Diversity

There is an unfortunate misconception that general practice is not as exciting as other medical specialities; with the phrase "coughs, colds, tears & smears" used to depict what are perceived to be the most common presentations to GPs. This time last year, I had just completed the first of my series of GP placements, as part of the first year clinical program, in a busy inner-city GP clinic - and to my disappointment "coughs, colds, tears & smears" were indeed the order of the day :-S Enter GP in the rural setting and oh boy - the difference is remarkable...

I spent today sitting-in on consultations with the good Dr P in the hope of absorbing via osmosis a thing, or two, or ten of his multitudinous praiseworthy skills and habits. I was treated, in return, with a day full of peculiar presentations that I thought only existed in textbooks. Shingles, intussusception of the small bowel, neurosarcoidosis, Barrett's oesophagus, excessive bruising with denial of trauma (leukamia... or physical/sexual abuse, perhaps?), polymyalgia rheumatica, colovesicular fistula... Whao! Inevitably, the more experienced medical students/doctors/nurses out there are rolling their eyes at me a-la-"been there, done that!", but seriously, I'm just overwhelmed by the diversity.

Two truths were thus confirmed for me today:
1. I know nothing.
2. Rural GP really demands that you know your thing.

Seriously. Le sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment