Thursday, June 11, 2009

P!nk

I just came back from doing a first aid duty at the P!nk concert. I'd heard feedback from members who'd covered the weekend concerts that it had gotten pretty rowdy towards the end; but, being a weeknight and all, I thought the crowds would behave themselves tonight. Well, let's just say that the good people of Sydney proved me wrong and demonstrated quite passionately that a weeknight is no barrier to getting pissed off your head and committing associated acts of general stupidity. But hey, I should probably allude indifference at this stage for the sake of upholding the golden rule of working in health-care: we don't judge here (*rolls eyes*).

Anyway, it actually wasn't too bad (and really, from an educational point of view, one person's misfortune is another person's treasure :-P). We had a few mosh-pit nasties - mainly sprained ankles, crowd-induced heat exhaustion (probably precipitated by dehydration from the alcohol), and intoxications of varying degrees/aetiologies. A lady with a sprain injury asked us if we could take her to the first-aid room to x-ray her ankle so as to make sure it wasn't broken (seriously?!)... I asked her how much alcohol she'd thus far consumed. We haven't set up a portable ED for you here woman! Seriously?! One of the teams had to deal with an attendant who fell down a flight of stairs as she was leaving the venue and knocked her head hard on landing. Apparently she was pretty out of it but they couldn't tell whether it was from alcohol or a potential head injury. Not cool :-/ I wish people would look after themselves a bit more sometimes (ha! The defining public health issue of our times, eh?). Le sigh.

All-in-all, it was a pretty busy and interesting night. Ooh, and as for the concert itself - amaaazing!! Probably not to everyone's taste, but I'm a big fan of P!nk so I really enjoyed it. I even managed to capture a few shots ;-P







No comments:

Post a Comment