Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Nobody knows

I get a bit frustrated sometimes when people make assumptions about the medical profession, and associated lifestyle, which I suspect aren't necessarily true. "Suspect", I write, because as a 2nd year student I personally know very little (yet!) about what's actually involved. However, some truths that I have come to observe, for example, include the fact that it's really not a very glamorous job, nor does it necessarily lend to a particularly comfortable lifestyle, despite the money that may (or may not) be involved, etc, etc. In brief, I feel like people on the outside rarely appreciate the demands and realities of the profession. Big deal, yes? Well, not really... because earlier on this evening, I came to realise quite an ironic twist to this phenomenon (which is probably already obvious to the well-organised mind): how much do we know about other peoples' professions?

So, my best friend Jess has just started teaching this year. First year out of uni, she's landed a full-time job as a kindergarten teacher at a well-established school. Now I don't know about you, but the image that's conjured in my mind when I think of teaching kindergarten is that of having a jolly-good time finger-painting and story-reading to a group of cute and innocent, rosy-cheeked, 5-year olds (let's add rainbows and bunny rabbits in the backdrop for good measure). Right? WRONG!! What she described to me tonight over dessert and coffee, was nothing short of trying to tame rascals in a juvenile detention centre. She has this child in her class with demonic tendencies who frequently breaks into violent outbursts and starts to throw things at the other children and my poor friend. Then there's the kid who likes to sit under the desk for reasons only God will ever know; and of course, being sheep, other kids follow suit and rebel accordingly in their own wicked way(s). Play-ground duty --> more like zoo-keeping duty!! Put those aside, the real challenge of course, is trying to deal with the bureaucracy of the place; with an unsupportive principal and his humble side-kick ass/principal, who turn a blind eye, tell her to pull herself together and do her job :-O

They don't know what we do; but then again, we don't know what they do either.

No comments:

Post a Comment